It’s no “April Fool’s” joke. Jazz Appreciation Month returns to our airwaves!
Our daily playlist includes some of the legends of jazz music, including Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday and many more. This is the 8th year in a row we’ve celebrated an American original music art form with added tracks. In addition to listening to jazz, there are other activities you can do to celebrate JAM.
- Attend a jazz concert at a local concert hall, performing arts organization, church, school, college, or jazz society.
- Follow your favorite musicians or groups on social media.
- Discover new jazz music, musicians and albums.
- Read a biography about one of your favorite jazz musicians, jazz poetry or other jazz book – fiction or nonfiction.
- Watch a movie or a documentary about Jazz (“Bird“, “’round Midnight“, or “The Buena Vista Social Club” to name a few.).
For more information on Jazz Appreciation Month, go to smithsonianjazz.org.
Also happening at our radio station is our featured artist. This month, its saxophonist Paula Atherton. We interviewed her in 2009 on a previous CD release and her podcast is still available on our website and on iTunes. (Free Subscription available.)
This month, Paula released her new CD called, “Shake It”. We’re featuring selected tracks off the album. In addition, she’s constantly on the road performing, so if you get the chance to see her live, please do so. She’s a very dynamic performer and we’re proud to have her music on our airwaves.